Therefore, if the Son makes you free, you really will be free. John 8:36 CEB
What an incredible promise but it is more than a promise it is the truth. Millions of people who have committed their lives to Christ have been set free from sin and the slavery of sin. Do you ever feel like you are trapped that you are locked into a life that is leading you now where? Do you feel like that for every three steps you take forward that you take two back? Jesus came to set you free so that you can live, and not just live but really live!
Jesus said: “I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of.” John 10:10b The Message. He is not saying that we are going to be rich and never have any problems. Jesus is talking about the blessings in life that come from God. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus spoke the Beatitudes, those blessings that are ours. Those blessings are not some kind of fruit bowl that we pick and choose but they belong to all of us as Christians. Read them again from the Message:
- “You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.
- “You’re blessed when you feel you’ve lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.
- “You’re blessed when you’re content with just who you are—no more, no less. That’s the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can’t be bought.
- “You’re blessed when you’ve worked up a good appetite for God. He’s food and drink in the best meal you’ll ever eat.
- “You’re blessed when you care. At the moment of being ‘care-full,’ you find yourselves cared for.
- “You’re blessed when you get your inside world—your mind and heart—put right. Then you can see God in the outside world.
- “You’re blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That’s when you discover who you really are, and your place in God’s family.
- “You’re blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God’s kingdom.
All of those blessings are because of a relationship with Christ. There is more of God, embraced by God, cared for, seeing God, and discover your place in God’s family. It all begins when we are set free by Christ. As the Holy Spirit begins that work of transforming us those blessings become a reality in our lives.